Your Building Department
Protecting Yourself During Home Repairs
Please visit www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/homerepair_construction.html for the complete article published by the Illinois Attorney General’s Office. You may also visit the Village’s webpage for information on common home repair scams.
Common Home Repair Scams
Complaints received by the Office of the Illinois Attorney General demonstrate that unscrupulous home repair contractors use some common techniques to gain the confidence of home owners. In general, consumers should beware when a home repair contractor:
- contacts you or comes to your home uninvited;
- tells you that you need to make repairs immediately or your safety may be in danger;
- pressures you to sign papers today or talks too quickly, attempting to confuse you;
- quotes a price that's out of line with other estimates;
- offers to drive you to your bank to withdraw funds to pay for his or her work;
- can be reached only by leaving messages with an answering service;
- drives an unmarked vehicle or has out-of-state license plates; or
- asks you to pay for the entire job up front.
Finding a Contractor
You should find out as much as you can about a contractor before hiring him or her. You can do this by calling the Illinois Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau. Get written estimates from several firms—but don't automatically choose the lowest bidder. Ask the contractor if subcontractors will be used on the project. If yes, ask to meet them, and make sure they have current insurance coverage and licenses. Also ask them if this contractor has paid them on time in the past.
Contracts for Home Repair in Illinois
Before signing any home repair or remodeling contract over $1,000, a person engaging in the business of home repair and remodeling is required in Illinois to provide the customer with a copy of the "Home Repair: Know Your Consumer Rights" pamphlet.
Effective May 23, 2007 - All Permits for New Construction will be subject to*:
2006 International Building Code
2006 International Residential Code
2006 International Mechanical Code
2006 International Fuel Gas Code
2006 International Fire Code
2012 International Energy Code
2005 National Electric Code
2004 Illinois Plumbing Code
1997 Illinois Accessibility Code
2006 International Existing Building Code
2000 Life Safety Code
Building Department Committee
Permit Coordinator/Deputy Clerk: Donna Perez
Administrative Assistant: Sandi Pastell
Permits and Applications